Work and Life on Business Radio
Powered by the Wharton School
SIRIUSXM CHANNEL 111 LIVE TUESDAYS at 7 PM EST
Work and Life is a radio show that explores everything related to work and the rest of life; your home and family, your community and society, and your private self (mind, body, and spirit). You’ll hear from the world’s leading experts – including researchers, CEOs, psychologists – and from everyday people in all kinds of jobs and families, with the aim of helping you become more informed and effective in creating harmony among the different parts of life.
Work and Life is a live interview and call-in show that airs Tuesdays at 7 PM, EST, hosted by Prof. Stew Friedman, Director of Wharton’s Work/Life Integration Project. We broadcast from the Wharton School on the University of Pennsylvania campus.
The mission of Business Radio Powered by The Wharton School is to educate listeners about business and management in order to maximize their personal career success and enhance the social and economic performance of the organizations in which they work.
Listen to Work and Life live on Sirius XM’s Business Radio Powered by the Wharton School (Channel 111) on Tuesdays at 7 PM Eastern. You can listen to the “best of” Work and Life shows and read transcripts.
Call 844-WHARTON/844-942-7866 | Twitter @BizRadio111 #WorkAndLife
Podcast of Work and Life with Stew Friedman
Big news – podcast version of the radio show is now available!
Many people who are not fee-paying SiriusXM subscribers have been clamoring to gain access to what the inspiring and provocative thought leaders say on Work and Life about how to manage the intersection between work and the rest of life. SiriusXM and Wharton recently agreed to allow hosts to share their shows as podcasts.
Go to Work and Life Podcast for edited versions of selected shows supplemented by additional information and resources on this site about each fantastic guest. Subscribe on your preferred platform to the podcast so you can take in wisdom and advice from world-renowned researchers (e.g., Barry Schwartz and Cal Newport), pioneers in the field of work/life (e.g., Ellen Galinsky and Joan Williams), thought leaders (e.g., Anne Marie Slaughter and Arianna Huffington), Wharton alumni (e.g., Neil Blumenthal and Brett Hurt), CEOS and other HR execs (Doug Conant, former CEO of Campbell Soup and Patty McCord, former Chief Talent Officer at Netflix ), and many more!
- Andy Molinsky — Professor of Organizational Behavior at Brandeis, Author of Reach
- Cassie Mogilner Holmes — Associate Professor of Marketing, UCLA Anderson School of Marketing
- Brad Harrington — Executive Director, Boston College Center for Work and Family
- Michael Baime — Director, Penn Program for Mindfulness
- Matt Schneider — Co-founder of New York City Dads Group.
- Marci Alboher — Vice President of Encore.org.
- Monica Worline — Research Scientist, Center for Compassion and Altruism, Stanford University. Co-author of Awakening Compassion at Work: The Quiet Power That Elevates Individuals and Organizations.
- Joan Williams — Distinguished Professor of Law, UC Hastings Foundation Chair and Director of the Center for WorkLife Law
- Sim Sitkin — Founding Director of the Center on Leadership and Ethics, Duke Fuqua School of Business.
Previous Guests, Interview Excerpts, and Select Podcasts
- February 28: Jennifer Deal, author of What Millennials Want From Work
- February 21: Barbara Waxman, author of Middlesence Manifesto
- February 14: Ryan McCurty and Scott Morehead, authors of The Culture of Good
- February 7: Wharton alumni — Vikram Bakhu, Maria Yuan, Stephanie Ackley Crowe, Alison Bloom-Feschbach, David Tucker, Amy Dahm
- January 31: Scott Sonenshein, author of Stretch
- January 17: Emily Esfahani Smith, author of The Power of Meaning.
- January 10: Sam Calagione, Founder of Dogfish Head Brewery and author, Off-Centered Leadership.
- December 22: Adam “Smiley” Poswolsky, Author, The Quarter-Life Breakthrough.
- December 6: Patty McCord, Former Chief Talent Officer at Netflix.
- November 22: Vic Strecher, Professor of Health and Behavior Education, University of Michigan
- November 15: Rachel Loftspring, Founder, The Breeding Ground
- November 1: Vicki Shabo, Vice President, National Partnership for Women and Families
- October 18: Emily Bianchi, Emory University
- September 27: Bill Taylor, author, Simpy Brilliant: How Great Organizations Do Ordinary Things in Extraordinary Ways.
- September 20: Jennifer Owens, Editorial Director, Working Mother Media.
- September 13: Erin Owen, author, Refuel, Recharge, and Re-energize.
- September 6: Jessica Bennett, author, Feminist Fight Club.
- August 30: Mary Dell Harrington, author and co-founder, Grown and Flown
- August 9: David Burkus, Author Under New Management: How Leading Organizations Are Upending Business as Usual
- August 2: John Arenas, CEO Serendipity Labs Podcast.
- July 26: Sam Polk, founder Groceryships, author For the Love of Money.
- July 19: Neal Gabler, journalist, historian, author, Barbara Streisand: Redefining Beauty, Feminity, and Power.
- July 12: Gail Hunt, National Alliance for Caregiving
- June 28: Subha Barry, Working Mother Podcast.
- June 28: Sara Watson, Ready Nation and Jerry McGinnis, KPMG
- June 21: Jessica Herrin, CEO and Founder Stella & Dot
- June 7: Paul Ollinger, author, You Should totally Get an MBA: A Comedian’s Guide to Top US Business Schools
- May 31: Stephanie Coontz, Dir. of Research & Public Education for The Council on Contemporary Families. Podcast
- May 3: Cristobal Young, Department of Sociology, Stanford University
- April 26: Ben Mand, SVP Brand Marketing & Innovation, Plum Organics
- April 19: Andy Rosen and Rich Sutton of Plus3.com
- April 12: Emma Seppala, author The Happiness Track. Podcast
- April 12: Ellen Bravo, Executive Director of Family Values @ Work.
- April 5: Frances Largeman-Roth, author Eating in Color.
- March 29: Alison Bloom-Feschbach & Marie Poyet, Founders, Know Your Crew.
- March 29: Josh Levs author of All In: How Our Work-First Culture Fails Dads, Families and Businesses — And How We Can Fix It Together
- March 22: Nancy Vitale, VP of HR, Genentech. Podcast. Excerpts.
- March 1: Joel Brockner, Prof. of Business at Columbia, author of Process Matters: Engaging and Equipping People for Success. Excerpts.
- February 23: Professor Sarah Kagan, Penn Gerontological Nursing. Excerpts.
- February 16: Professor Syd Finkelstein (Tuck), author of Superbosses. Excerpts and podcast.
- February 9: Professors Kathleen Gerson (NYU) and Jerry Jacobs (UPENN). Excerpts and podcast.
- February 2: Gopi Kallayil, Google’s Chief Evangelist for Brand Marketing & author of The Internet to the Inner-Net. Excerpts and podcast.
- January 26: Wharton 22s — Laszlo Syrop and Daniel Ingram
- January 19: Cal Newport, Author of Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World. Excerpts and podcast.
- December 15: Karyn Twaronite, Ernst & Young Global Diversity & Inclusiveness Officer
- December 8: Scott Barry Kaufman, Scientific Director of the Science of Imagination Project, Positive Psychology Center, UPENN. Excerpts.
- December 1: Dorie Clark, Author, Stand Out
- December 1: Richard Reeves, Sr. Fellow, Brookings Institution, Co-Director of their Center on Children & Families. Excerpts.
- November 24: Catherine Steiner Adair, Author, The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family in the Digital Age. Excerpts.
- November 17: Amy Ragsdale, Author, Crossing the River: A Life in Brazil
- November 17: Juliana Menace Horowitz, Associate Director, Pew Research Center
- November 10: Maurice Schweitzer, Wharton Professor, author, Friend and Foe: When to Cooperate, When to Compete, and How to Succeed at Both Excerpts. Podcast.
- October 27: Barry Schwartz, Professor of Social Theory & Action, Swarthmore College and author, Why We Work Podcast Excerpts.
- October 27: Keith Perske, Executive Managing Director, Colliers International. Excerpts.
- October 20: Jeffery Pfeffer, Professor of Organizational Behavior, Stanford and author, Leadership B.S.: Fixing Workplaces and Careers One Truth at a Time Excerpts
- October 20: Jason Toff, Wharton alum and General Manager at Vine Excerpts
- October 13: Ellen Bravo, Executive Director, Family Values @ Work Excerpts
- October 13: Jane Waldfogel, Author, Too Many Children Left Behind Excerpts
- October 6: Jenny Radesky, Pediatrician, Boston University Excerpts
- October 6: David Rodriguez, Executive VP & Global Chief HR Officer, Marriott Excerpts
- September 29: Anne Erni, Retired Head of Human Resources at Bloomberg Excerpts Podcast
- September 8: Rachel Lyubovitzky, WG’08, Co-Founder and Chief Executive Officer at OnTimeWorks. Excerpts.
- September 8: Stephanie Mitchell Hughes, attorney and advocate.
- September 1: Will Wesch, Director of Admissions at Novus Medical Detox Center. Excerpts.
- September 1: Julie Lythcott-Haims, Author of How to Raise an Adult. Excerpts. Podcast.
- August 18: Josh Davis, Author, Two Awesome Hours: Science-Based Strategies to Harness your Best Time and Get Your Most Important Work Done. Excerpts.
- August 18: Amanda Engstrom Eversole, Wharton’s 40 Under 40, Senior VP US Chamber of Commerce. Excerpts.
- August 11: Karen Rubin, Managing Director of Talking Talent. Podcast.
- August 11: Alexandra Samuel, Author, Work Smarter with Social Media.
- August 4: Deirdre Maloney, Author, Bogus Balance: Your Journey to Real Work/Life Bliss.
- August 4: Scott Behson, Author, Working Dad’s Survival Guide.
- July 14: Julie Coffman, Partner, Bain and Chair of their Global Women’s Leadership Council. Excerpts.
- July 14: Morra Aarons-Mele, Founder, Women Online.
- July 7: Jerry Campbell, Author, Choosing to Live: Enduring the Loss of a Loved One. Podcast.
- July 7: Allison Rimm: Author, The Joy of Strategy: A Business Plan for Life.
- June 30: Michael Lee Stallard, Author, Fired Up or Burned Out and Connection Culture. Excerpts.
- June 30: Mark Goulston, Psychiatrist and author, Just Listen.
- June 23: Steve Steff, Founder, Transforming Leadership.
- June 23: Laura Vanderkam, Author, I Know How She Does It: How Successful Women Make The Most of Their Time.
- June 16: Paul Raeburn, Author, Do Father’s Matter? What Science Is Telling Us About The Parent We’ve Overlooked. Podcast.
- June 16: Simon Isaacs, Co-Founder, Fatherly.
- June 9: Ryan Smith, Co-founder, Qualtrics.
- June 9: Sally Thornton, Founder, Forshay. Podcast.
- June 2: Melissa Milkie, Professor of Sociology, University of Toronto.
- June 2: Jason Harris, President and CEO, Mekanism.
- May 26: Tania Luna, Co-author of Surprise: Embrace the Unpredictable and Engineer the Unexpected.
- May 26: Katherine Zaleski: Co-founder and President, Power to Fly.
- May 19: Josh Levs: Journalist and author of All In: How Our Work-First Culture Fails Dads, Families and Businesses — And How We Can Fix It Together. Podcast.
- May 19: Wharton MBAs — Anita Hossain & Minlan Duan.
- May 12: Fred Kiel, Psychologist and author of Return on Character. Excerpts.
- May 12: David Gelles, Journalist and author of Mindful Work: How Meditation is Changing Business from the Inside Out. Excerpts.
- May 5: Dorie Clark, Author, Stand Out and Reinventing You. Excerpts. Podcast.
- May 5: Michael Thompson, Psychologist and author, Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys. Excerpts.
- April 28: Michael Kimmel, Author, Guyland; Angry White Men; Manhood & more. Excerpts.
- April 28: Nova Covington, CEO & Founder, Goddess Garden Organics. Excerpts.
- April 14: Doug Conant, Author, Touchpoints. Past CEO & President, Campbell Soup.
- March 31: Jordan Lloyd Bookey, WG’07, Chief Mom & Co-Founder, Zoobean. Excerpts. Podcast.
- March 31: Joshua Abram, Co-founder, Neuehouse. Excerpts.
- March 24: Eric Greitens, Founder, The Mission Continues, author, Resilience. Excerpts.
- March 24: Greig Schneider, US Managing Partner, Egon Zehnder. Excerpts.
- March 17: Dr. Edward Hallowell, co-author, Driven to Distraction. Excerpts.
- March 17: Katlyn Grasso, W’15, founder, genHeration. Excerpts.
- March 10: Jamie Ladge, Professor of Management and Organizational Development, Northeastern University. Excerpts.
- Marchh 10: Laura Little, Dir. of the Institute for Leadership Advancement, University of Georgia. Excerpts.
- March 3: Andrew Scheffer, WG’01, Finance and banking professional, founder of Mindfulness Meditation Training. Excerpts.
- March 3: Carole Fishman Cohen, CEO and Co-founder, iRelaunch. Excerpts.
- February 24: Pam Stone, Sociology Professor, Hunter College. Excerpts.
- February 24: Susan Lambert, Professor, University of Chicago. Excerpts.
- February 17: Debbie Epstein Henry, Founder, Flex-Time Lawyers. Excerpts.
- February 17: Vicki Shabo, VP, National Partnership for Women and Families. Excerpts.
- February 10: Dave Asprey, Founder and CEO, BulletProof Executive. Excerpts.
- February 10: Dan Calista, Founder and CEO, Vynamic. Excerpts.
- February 3: Jody Miller, Founder and CEO, Business Talent Group. Excerpts.
- February 3: Carson Tate, Founder of Working Simply. Excerpts.
- January 27: Wharton MBAs Rena Fried, WG’15 and Vivian Chung, WG’15. Excerpts.
- January 27: Kathy Korman Frey, Founder and Chief, Hot Momma’s Project. Excerpts.
- January 20: Chris Marvin, WG’11, Managing Director at GotYour6. Excerpts.
- January 20: Rosa Sheng, Architect, Founding Chair of The Missing 32%. Excerpts.
- January 6: Jeremy and Cathy Schlosberg, 20 year at-home-dad and Aramark, VP. Excerpts.
- January 6: Bill Proudman, Co-founder and CEO of White Men as Full Diversity Partners. Excerpts.
- December 16: Scott Schieman, Professor of Sociology, University of Toronto. Excerpts.
- December 16: Dan Clawsen and Naomi Gerstel, Professors of Sociology, UMASS Amherst. Excerpts.
- December 9: James Joseph, Author, Gods Own Office. Excerpts.
- December 9: Kathy Christensen, Director, Sloan Foundation. Excerpts.
- December 2: Jenny Blake, Author, Life After College. Excerpts.
- December 2: Laura Kohler, Senior VP Human Resources, Kohler, Co. Excerpts.
- November 25: Guy Spier, Author, The Education of the Value Investor. Excerpts.
- November 25: Kelly Vlahakis-Hanks, Vice President, Earth Friendly Products.
- November 18: Ric Ramsey, Executive Director & VP, City Year Philadelphia. Excerpts.
- November 18: Shelly Ibach, CEO, Select Comfort/Sleep Number. Excerpts.
- November 11: John Kimberly, Henry Bower Professor of Management, Wharton.
- November 11: Scott Eblin: Author, Overwhelmed & Overworked: The Mindfulness Alternative. Excerpts.
- November 4: Wharton MBA Women — Zinnia Horne, WG’15 and Abby Holmes, WG’15. Excerpts.
- Nocember 4: Wharton MBA Men — Dan Geoffrion, WG’15 and Josh Johnson, WG’15.
- October 28: Steven Klasko, WG’96, President and CEO, Thomas Jefferson Hospital. Excerpts.
- October 28: Peter Weis, WG’08, Chief Information Officer, Matson Navigation.
- October 21: Jennifer Owens, Editorial Director, Working Mother Media. Excerpts.
- October 21: Christie Smith, Principle at Deloitte and Kenji Yoshino, the Chief Justice Earl Warren Professor of Constitutional Law at NYU. Excerpts.
- October 14: Bob Hedaya, MD, Founder, National Center for Whole Psychiatry. Excerpts.
- October 14: Eric Greitens, Founder, The Mission Continues. Excerpts.
- October 7: Tom Tierney, Chairman and Co-Founder, Bridgespan; former CEO, Bain. Excerpts.
- October 7: Julie Foudy, Former Captain, US Women’s Olympic Soccer team, ESPN analyst. Excerpts.
- September 30: Katy Milkman, James G. Campbell, Jr., Assistant Professor of Operations and Information Management, The Wharton School. Excerpts. Podcast.
- September 30: Lonnie Golden, Professor of Economics, Penn State.
- September 23: Andy Stefanovich, Author of Look at More: A Proven Approach to Innovation, Growth, and Change. Excerpts.
- September 23: Carol Evans, President and Founder, Working Mother Media. Excerpts.
- September 16: Ariane Ollier-Malaterre, Professor of Management, University of Quebec in Montreal. Excerpts.
- September 16: John Baldoni, Author MOXIE: The Secret to Bold and Gutsy Leadership. Excerpts.
- September 9: David Thomas, Dean, McDonough School of Business, Georgetown University. Excerpts.
- September 9: Sophie Wade, Founder, Flexcel.
- September 2: Keith Ferrazzi, Author of best-selling books Never Eat Alone and Who’s Got Your Back? Excerpts.
- September 2: Matthew Bidwell, Associate Professor of Management, The Wharton School. Excerpts.
- August 26: Anne Weisberg, Senior VP, Families and Work Institute. Erin Owen, guest host.
- August 5: Monique Valcour,Professor of Management, EDHEC Business School, Nice, France. Excerpts.
- July 29: Gretchen Spreitzer,Professor of Management, University of Michigan. Excerpts.
- July 29: Kathie Lingle, Leading World@Work’s Alliance for Work-Life Progress. Excerpts.
- July 22: Herminia Ibarra, Professor of Organizational Behavior at INSEAD. Excerpts.
- July 22: Sam Polk, Founder of Groceryships. Excerpts. Podcast.
- July 15: Ellen Bravo, Director of Family Values @ Work. Excerpts.
- July 15: Dave Lissy, CEO, BrightHorizons Family Solutions. Excerpts.
- July 8: David Allen, Author of Getting Things Done. Excerpts.
- July 8: Debra Schafer — Founder and CEO, Education Navigation. Excerpts.
- July 1: Sarah Kagan, UPENN Professor of Gerontological Nursing. Excerpts.
- July 1: Michael Rashid, President and CEO of AmeriHealth Caritas
- June 24: Tom Gardner, Founder and CEO of The Motley Fool. Excerpts.
- June 10: Nancy Rothstein, The Sleep Ambassador.
- June 10: Sara Sutton Fell, Founder and CEO FlexJobs.
- June 3: Shannon Schuyler, Principal and Corporate Responsibility leader at PricewaterhouseCoopers.
- June 3: Liza Mundy, Author of The Richer Sex: How the New Majority of Female Breadwinners is Transforming Our Culture. Excerpts.
- May 27: Ken Eisold, Psychoanalyst, organizational consultant, author of What You Don’t Know You Know: Our Hidden Motives in Life, Business and Everything Else.
- May 20: Janet Hanson, Founder of 85Broads, a global network of 30K+ trailblazing women. Excerpts.
- May 20: Nilofer Merchant, Corporate Director, author, innovator, speaker, former CEO. Excerpts.
- May 13: Neil Blumenthal, WG’10, Co-Founder and Co-CEO, Warby Parker. Excerpts.
- May 13: Scott Behson, Prof of Mgmt. at Fairleigh Dickinson and blogger. Excerpts.
- May 6: Peter McGraw, Dir. of the Humor Research Lab, U Colorado. Excerpts.
- May 6: Cali Yost, CEO and Founder, Flex+Strategy Group. Excerpts.
- April 29: Prasad Setty — WG’99, Vice President, People Analytics and Compensation at Google. Excerpts.
- April 29: Anne-Marie Slaughter, President and CEO, New America Foundation. Excerpts.
- April 22: Doug Conant, Chairman, Kellogg Executive Leadership Institute, Past CEO and President, Campbell Soup, author, Touchpoints. Excerpts.
- April 22: Brigid Schulte, Reporter, Washington Post, author, Overwhelmed: Work, Love and Play When No One Has Time. Excerpts.
- April 15: Ellen Galinsky, President and Co-Founder, Families and Work Institute. Interview excerpts.
- April 15: Meg Hirschberg, Author, For Better or Work: A Survival Guide for Entrepreneurs and Their Families.
- April 8: Julie Smolyansky, President and CEO, Lifeway Foods. Interview excerpts.
- April 8: Maggie Jackson, Former Boston Globe columnist, author of Distracted: The Erosion of Attention and the Coming of the Dark Age. Interview excerpts.
- April 1: Roger Schwarz, Author of Smart Leaders, Smarter Teams. Interview excerpts.
- April 1: Stephanie Coontz, Dir. of Research and Public Education for the Council on Contemporary Families. Interview excerpts.
- March 25: Joan C. Williams, Distinguished Professor of Law, UC Hastings Foundation Chair and Director of the Center for WorkLife Law. Author, What Works for Women at Work. Interview excerpts.
- March 25: Lisa Belkin, Columnist for the New York Times and Huffington Post, just named Yahoo Senior National Correspondent. Interview excerpts.
- March 18: Erica Dhawan, W’07 Founder and CEO, Cotential. Interview excerpts.
- March 18: Allison Karl O’Kelly, Founder and CEO MomCorps. Interview excerpts.
- March 11: Alyssa Friede Westring, Asst. Professor of Management, Dreihaus College of Business, DePaul University. Interview excerpts.
- March 11: Ashley Milne-Tyte, journalist and founder of The Broad Experience. Interview excerpts.
- March 4: Connie Gersick, Visiting Scholar, Yale School of Management. Interview excerpts.
- March 4: Wharton Men: David Ash, WG’15; Vikram Madan, WG’15; Kareem Howard, WG’14 and Siddharth Shankar, WG’14. Interview excerpts.
- February 25: Deika Morrison, Eng’94 W’94, WG’08 — Co-Founder and President, DoGood Jamaica. Interview excerpts.
- February 25: Jerry Jacobs — Professor of Sociology, University of Pennsylvania and Founding President, Work and Family Researchers Network. Interview excerpts.
- February 18: Wharton Total Leadership Alumni: Judith Duval, W’03; Matthew Jennings, WG’12; Eugene Lebedev, WG’10; Richard Meene, WG’11; Goshin Mizuno, WG’12; Sean O’Reilly, WG’10; David Tucker, W’09. Interview excerpts.
- February 11: Wharton Women: Pamela Freed, Nohemie Sanon, Meaghan Casey, and Kristina Milyuchikhina current members of Wharton Women in Business. Interview excerpts one and two.
- February 11: Jessica DeGroot, WG’94 — Founder and Executive Director, Third Path Institute. Interview excerpts.
- February 4: Katrina Alcorn — Author, Maxed Out: American Moms on the Brink. Interview excerpts.
- February 4: Marci Alboher, Penn ’88 –Lawyer-turned journalist/author and VP, Encore.org. Interview excerpts.
- January 28: Brad Harrington – Executive Director and Research Professor, Boston College Center for Work & Family and Founder, The New Dad. Interview excerpts.
- January 28: Ellen Ernst Kossek – Basil S. Professor of Management, Purdue University and President, Work and Family Researchers Network. Interview excerpts.
- January 21: Matt Schneider, W’97 – Co-Founder, NYC Dads Group. Interview excerpts.
- January 21: Deborah Epstein Henry – Founder, Flex-Time Lawyers; author, Law and Reorder; and Co-Founder, Bliss Lawyers. Interview excerpts.
- January 14: Erin Owen – Founder, Your Performance Breakthrough. Interview excerpts.
- January 14: Brett Hurt, WG’99 — Co-owner of Hurt Family Investments and Vice Chairman, former CEO and Co-Founder, Bazaarvoice. Interview excerpts.